Skip to main content

About this Show

News Nation

News/Business. Tamron Hall. Tamron Hall provides context and informed perspectives on the stories making headlines. New.

NETWORK

DURATION
01:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1235

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Rupert Murdoch 18, David Cameron 8, Us 7, Rebekah Brooks 7, Justin 5, Andy Coulson 5, James Murdoch 4, Chihuahua 3, Tamron 3, Tony Blair 3, Rupert 3, Murdoch 3, Gordon Brown 3, Karl Rove 3, Washington 2, China 2, America 2, Aarp 2, Volkswagen 2, St. Louis 2,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  MSNBC    News Nation    News/Business. Tamron Hall. Tamron Hall provides context and  
   informed perspectives on the stories making headlines. New.  

    July 19, 2011
    2:00 - 3:00pm EDT  

2:00pm
talk to rupert murdoch quite regularly. >> once a day, twice a day -- can you give us an idea of -- >> on average every other day, but pretty regularly. >> you said that everybody at "news of the world" and everybody was working hard to get nem a job and make sure they didn't lose it, which is perfectly admirable, why is that not the same for tom crohn then? because you said that the job no longer existed at "news of the world," so if you are busily trying to find a job for everybody at "news of the world" why are you not finding a job for him? >> well, there are some people that didn't want a job. in the case of tom crohn, tom's title was "news international"
2:01pm
leading manager, and as mr. sheridan pointed out, it was not just journalists, but many people to find jobs for. in the case of thomas, i explained he predominantly for the last few years had worked for the legal manager of "news of the world," and in fact, the legal teams he worked on all of the other newspapers, so that's the current situation with tom. >> can i just ask you about nevil neville, and did you know that when you were editor of "news of the world" that he was a somebody who was an informant to the police? >> no. >> you didn't know that he was an informant to the police? >> no. is that true? >> well, it is in the "evening standard" and they quoted -- they have quoted court reporters dated back to 2000 when he said
2:02pm
himself after a case that the police were very interested about the type of intelligence i was coming up with that was revealed in court and the judge said it was a substantial volume of information and it was extremely useful to the police. it says also that sources close to him, and this is a quote people right at the top of "news international" was aware of his role with the police. >> i was never informed that he was a informant for the police. >> that comes as a complete shock to you. >> you are telling me now and i'm not even sure what it means particularly, i mean, if you are asking me about the, do members of the press and members of the police force have a symbiotic relationship of exchanging information for the public interest, then they do, but i'm not quite sure what the word police informant means. >> well, the allegation is that he passed a substantial volume of information that was extremely useful to scotland
2:03pm
yard and in return mr. philbeck received information from the police computer -- >> well, i don't know about that, and most journalists who work as a crime editor or a crime correspondents have a working relationship with that their particular police force. >> when our report was published in early 2010, was when you were chief executive of "news international" and there was certain things where obviously we, a reporter we have found that the evidence from the people of "news international" was wholly unsatisfactory and the amnesia and inconceivable that clyde was a rogue reporter as have been passed on to us, and that we referred to the neville e-mail in there, and awe
2:04pm
-- all of that kind of stuff, and when you were chief executive of "news international" at the time that the report was published, did you read the report? >> yes, i did. i'm not saying i read every single word of it, but i read a large majority of it and i particularly read the criticisms addressed to the company, and i can only hope that from the evidence that you have heard from us today that we have really stepped up our investigation, you know, that, you know, rupert and james murdoch have been here today being open and honest with you as a committee, and i was very willing to come despite the fact that there are some legal issues around what i say. i hope that you think that when we saw the civil disclosure in december of 2010, we acted swiftly and promptly to deal with it. and the police investigation would not be open now, and there would not be a new criminal
2:05pm
inquiry if it had not been for the information that "news international" handed over and i'm not saying that we haven't made mistakes, but the metropolitan police have repeatedly said as you heard last week, and the first committee heard last week, they repeatedly said there was no need for further criminal investigation. so, i think that everyone involved in 2007 would say now that the mistakes were made, but i hope that you feel that we've responded appropriately and responsibly since we saw the information in 2010. >> so, when you read the report, did that make you think, lower me, there arm se some things he that don't stack up, and there might not be evidence and they may not know something, and there is something not clearly quite right here, and did that sort of prompt any activity on your part as chief executive of
2:06pm
"news international" well, let's go back over this, because there is something not right here? >> well, no, everyone at "news international" has great respect for the parliament and this committee and of course to be criticized by your report was, was something that we, we responded to, we looked at the report, but it was only when we had the information in december 2010 that we did something about it. but you know, i think that you heard today from rupert murdoch who said that this was, you know, the most humble day. we come before this committee to try and explain openly and honestly what happened, and of course, we were very unhappy with the criticisms that this committee found against the company. we aspire daily to have a great company, and your criticisms were felt. >> so, could you tell us how often you either spoke toer omet with the various prime ministers
2:07pm
that there have been since you were executive editor of the "news international" or the "sun" and how often would you meet with tony blair or david cameron initially? >> well, on prime minister david cameron, you know, we have met, well, i read the other day that we have met 26 times, but i don't know if that is absolutely correct. i can do my best to come back to you on a exact number on that, but i am sure it is correct if that is what the prime minister's office says, but the fact is that i have is never been to downing street while david cameron has been prime minister, and yet under prime minister gordon brown and tony blair i did regularly go the downing street. >> how regularly is regularly? >> well, on prime minister gordon brown in the time that he was in downing time and while he
2:08pm
was -- and also while he was chancellor, i would have gone maybe six times a year. >> and with tony blair, similar? >> probably similar, and maybe in the last few years a little more, but i mean, i can if you want the exact numbers, i can do my best to get that, but strangely, it was under labor prime ministers that i was a regular to downing street, and not the current administration. >> and do you think that there was a change of emphasis when you were at either the "sun" or the chief executive of "news international" because it struck me growing up that the "sun" and the "news of the world" and particularly the "sun" was a rather antiestablishment kind of publication, and always seemed to me the sort of paper that was on the side of the little person fighting the establishment. would you say that when you
2:09pm
became editor and obviously your relationship with those prime ministers, there was a shift in actually the "news international" being aer pat p the establishment as opposed to the anti-establishment. >> well, considering the number of complaints i would get from the i prime ministers about the coverage, if they were here now they would say that is not the case. throughout my editorship at the "sun" one of the campaigns is help for the heroes and the "sun" is absolutely the paper for the military and that caused us to have very, very uncomfortable conversations, particularly with prime minister gordon brown. one of the issues that still is apparent today as it was back then is the lack of awareness of other aspects of the media and of parliament to acknowledge that currently we have soldiers fighting in afghanistan, a war,
2:10pm
and people don't seem to forget that. so, i would not say that any prime minister would not think that the "sun" is fighting for the right people and in fact, the "sun" continues to fight for the right people. >> and when would one of those prime mensters ask you as either editor or chief editor at the time ask you to not publish a story or would they sort of go over the news and ask you to spike a story? would that happen? >> no. i can't remember an occasion when the prime ministers asked us to not run a story. >> that is not a politicians generally something that would happen? >> no. i mean, i would say that i can remember many occasions when cabinet minister or a politician or prime minister was very unhappy that the stories that we were running. but not that they'd ever pleaded directly for it not to run. >> and if they had, you would not have been interested anyway?
2:11pm
>> well, as long as the story was true and accurate and part of the campaign, then, no, there is is no reason for a prime minister, and that is exactly why we have a free press. >> does the final question is, and this is my final question, and there is a sort of feeling that in some way, that you had a close relationship with the prime minister, and the current prime minister and i think that the allegation goes, and it seems to me that it is no different with your relationship with the previous prime ministers, but just for the benefit of what people may perceive that you had a close relationship with the prime minister, and that was helpful to him, and certainly "news international" reports helpful to him politically, but in return, what news corporation was hoping for in some way grease the wheels to the takeover of bskyb, and was any of that -- was any of that sort of part of the wider strategy of news corporation? were you encouraged to get closer to the prime ministers
2:12pm
with that in mind? >> no. not at all. i have read many, many allegations about my current relationship with the current prime minister david cameron including my extensive horse riding with him every weekend up in oxfordshire, and i have never, never been horse riding with the prime minister. i don't know where that story came from. i was asked the three days ago to disclose the racehorse that i owned with the prime minister, which i do not, and i was asked a week ago to explain why i owned some land with the prime minister, which i do not. so, i'm afraid in this current climate, many of the allegations that have been putting forward that i'm trying to answer honestly, but there is a lot out there that just isn't true.
2:13pm
and particularly around this subject of my relationship with david cameron. the truth is that he is, that he is a neighbor. and a friend, but i deem the relationship to be wholly appropriate, and at no time have i ever had any conversation with the prime minister that you in the room would disapprove of. >> thank you. and adrian? >> on the report that you said that you advised david cameron whom top a point as a news spokesman and suggested that it be andy coulson, and -- >> i read that. >> and what was your reaction to that story? >> well, it is matter of public knowledge that it was george osborne osborne's, the chancellor's idea that when andy coulson left that
2:14pm
they stop discussions with him as an appropriate person to go into the hq, and the first time i heard of him being approached was from andy coulson and not the prime minister. >> so you have no conversation with david cameron who was not the prime minister at the time. >> the piece you are talking about, the ansr is no. the allegation which i have read is that i told the prime minister to hire andy coulson and that is not true. never was true and the idea came from george osborne. >> so you had no conversation with david cameron about andy coulson being suitable for that position? >> no. >> none whatsoever? >> no. obviously, you are talking about about before his appointment? >> yes. >> no. >> and you presumably would in a social context swap gossip with david cameron when you would meet, and that gossip could
2:15pm
actually be having been obtained by illegalle means. are you satisfied that your dealings with david cameron before and after becoming prime minister that the sort of gossip that you might share was above board? >> well, as i shared earlier, any relationship and conversations with the prime minister were wholly respectable when i was with the "sun" and he was prime minister. >> and what about when you were at "news of the world"? >> again, that is not true. so, i didn't approve it. >> so, the news stateman report
2:16pm
and the daily mail report is inaccurate that his salary is not being subsidized by "news international." >> that is correct, they are not correct. that is right. >> i have one final and small question. would you agree, ms. brooks, that part of the public concern here is about the closeness of the police and now politicians to "news of the world" and "news international?" >> i think that the public's concern overwhelmingly is the on the interception of voice mails is the idea that anybody could intercept the voice mails of victims of crime, and i think that is the overwhelming concern. >> but there has been a lot of concern voiced over the closeness of the police and the politicians and the "news of the world" and "news international"
2:17pm
wouldn't you agree as a matter of fact? >> well, i have seen that "news of the world" has been singled out for that closeness so if you are going to address this and you know this more than anyone on the committee, because of your career as a journalist that it is wholly unfair in the discussing the closeness of police and politicians with the media to single out the "news of the world." >> well, it is a fact, and this has been a criticism and yet, you are on your watch as chief executive of "news international" have a triple whammy, because you employ the form former deputy of prosecutors, and ken donald, who is not above criticism for stamping the pleasement of the inquiry, and was that a area of misjudgment
2:18pm
with the circumstances? >> well, to clarify the ken mcdonald issue which is important is that ken mcdonnell was hired by "ne ed by news cor and he has been rigorous in the separation of payments to police and the illegal interception of voice mail and he has not commented on the illegal interception of voice mail and if that conversation has ar risen he has withdrawn himself from the room and the conversation. so now i hear what you say, but -- >> you can forgive people for shaking their heads, can't you? >> well, i can forgive people for shaking their heads if they believe what you, the question you put to me was true, but i think that if people understand that he was hired by news corporation and not news international and he will report to the board and he is only
2:19pm
discussing payments to police officers, people would not shake their head, because he has been rigorous in not involving himself in the illegal interception of voice mails. >> and unless you have anything else that you would like to add. >> just one thing, really. i know that you have heard unreserved apologies from rupert and james murdoch and i want to reiterate my own, because the most important thing i feel going forward for the investigation is to discover the allegations and the truth behind the allegations and particularly for the milly dowler's family, and for the other allegations of victim of crime, but i want to make one request of committee when i am free from some of the legal agugal constraints that i come back and answer in a more forthrightly way. >> thank you for your
2:20pm
willingness to come, and the way in which you have answered our questions. >> thank you, chairman. we have been listening for an hour to rebekah brooks the former ceo and editor of "news of the world" and rupert murdoch and his son james answered for three hours before parliamentt today and while the 80-year-old called the hacking scandal humbling and said he was appalled and shocked and ashamed he was not responsible. >> did you close the paper down because of the criminality? >> yes, we felt ashamed of what happened. >> are you feeling responsible for the whole fiasco? >> no. >> you are not responsible. who is responsible? >> the people i trusted to run it, and then maybe the people they trust ed. >> and just as the murdochs were wrapping up the testimony, this explosive moment.
2:21pm
>> this is outrage! >> oh! >> a man armed with a shaving cream pie attempted to sop rupert murdoch with it, and james murdoch seemed stunned but rupert's wife wendi murdoch went angry after the protester, and the meeting was a halt, and then resumed with murdoch taking off the soiled jacket. when rupert murdoch and his son james were done, rebekah brooks who you were just watching, rebekah brooks was on the hot seat, and joining me live from london is michelle ckosinski, ad this day started off with rupert murdoch mobbed by photographers as he prepared to testify, and before we talk about rebeckah brooks and what she had to say, there was a lot of buzz on rupert murdoch being humbled by this, but not taking responsibility for what was happening with the company he owned. >> yeah, that was interesting.
2:22pm
i mean, he said, yes, i'm in charge of this company, but this is an enormous company, and the "news of the world" is less than 1% of it all and i don't have that much involvement in the day-to-day workings of it and neither does my son here james. and they said basically they didn't know anything about this, and when they were informed that something bigger was going on, they did everything possible to help the police and they turned over all of the documents that they didn't know existed before, so it is a complex web who knew what when, and the murdochs saying they didn't know anything at this time, and it is people below them that they trusted who betrayed the company and betrayed the murdochs, tamron. >> and with that said, tamron, we heard rebekah brooks say she spoke with rupert murdoch and his son james on a regular ba s basis, and we know there were settlements and payouts before this was an international scandal and the people of the uk are aware of and so here is
2:23pm
rebekah brooks saying i spoke to one of them and surely one would assume that these things would come up. >> well, it is a range, tamron, from disappointing testimony to frustrating testimony, because we expected the murdochs to say what they did and it is understandable on some levels that they are so high up that if something shady was going on at a newspaper, okay, they might not know about it, until it really gets to be a huge story, okay, we get it. but then we waited for rebekah brooks to come in, because she was the editor at the time of the alleged hacking and we all waited for her to say something to shed light on something, but that did not happen. she said she didn't know about hacking. she never condoned it or sanctioned it and she didn't know about payments to the police and never condoned or saeng shunn sanctioned that, and some of the questioners said, isn't it incredible that you did not know any of this and she said, yeah, maybe it is incredible, but i
2:24pm
just did not know. >> and she pointed out the legal issues being out on bail and she said i have legal issues around what i say and even referring to the legal issues in the closing statements there, michelle, saying to the members of parliament she wanted to be more forthright, but she has to deal with this. let me bring in richard wolf who has been watching this play out. richard, there were reports that if rupert murdoch did not perform up to expecttations if you will, he might be replaced as the head of the company and move on to being the chairman which i say just, because that is obviously powerful position in the company, and what is the reaction to what we heard from him today? >> well, look, the stock market suggests they were reassured if not by his performance then the son's, because the share price went up. the basic underlying story from rupert murdoch is that, yes, i was so far above it i did not know, but at the same time i was involved in every newspaper and making sure they were competitive against the others and essentially saying he was clueless about the important investigations and some of the
2:25pm
mps was incredulous that he had not read the opinions and some of the judges were involved in black mail, and some of it stretched cr eed cred yulety to breaking point, and when rebekah brooks says she didn't know anything about the break-in of the voice mail of the murdered girl, and when it was cited on her own newspaper in print. it does not stack up. >> and when she said that her former employer rupert murdoch and james murdoch were open and honest and going out of the way to say that, and richard, the other thing that when the deng murdoch and this woman's name is trending at the top of the internet when you put her name in, and people are searching after this moment, and play it again, played out at the end of rupert murdoch's testimony. we have not been able to independently identify this man, but he leapt out of the crowd and attempted to smash rupert
2:26pm
murdoch in the face with this pie. let's play it. we don't have it. nonetheless, richard, this woman is now intrigued by who she is and the role, and when you look at some of the articles focused on wendi mur do, and now one in harper's bazaar magazine and she has a movie coming out "sun flower and the secret fan" and she a vixsen running things behind the scene. who is this woman? >> no doubt that rupert murdoch runs the company and the children from the previous marriage. she a marketing executive and i have met her and she is fiesty and we have friends in common and she is an active defender and advocate for her husband. and by the way, he has got involved in charitable endeavors because of her as well. although, there is a huge age gap between them -- >> 30 years.
2:27pm
>> -- she has a lot of energy. >> and 30 years younger than him and they have two small children, grace and chloe, and one article cited when her husband traveled to china on business, she was his translator right there beside him and quoted in the article that she does not want to be portrayed as a tiger mom, and she is an independent woman and working otb film and in fact, some people said she is having a worse week than her husband, because she is trying to promote the movie while this scandal is around. >> well, as someone in marketing she would know how difficult that is, but she is leaning into the meeting more than the lawyer next to her. she is fully engaged and all credit to her to stop that outrageous assault on him, because regardless of what you think of murdoch, everyone deserves the dignity of being treated fairly. >> and greatly appreciate it, and in two weeks the government could default on the debt and today, a new nbc news poll suggests how americans feel about raising the debt ceiling, and in the past hour once again president obama speaks out about
2:28pm
the ongoing debate. we will have the latest comments from the president. >> and one year after shirley sherrod was forced out of her job saying she was racist, her suit against blogist andrew breitbart gets under way. and you don't want to miss the rest of this, the crime fighting chihuahua, and he brings it to these robbery suspects. make it yours. make it mio. can be even more powerful, with precise pain relieving cream. it blocks pain signals fast for relief precisely where you need it most. precise. only from the makers of tylenol. but when she got asthma, all i could do was worry ! specialists, lots of doctors, lots of advice... and my hands were full.
2:29pm
i couldn't sort through it all. with unitedhealthcare, it's different. we have access to great specialists, and our pediatrician gets all the information. everyone works as a team. and i only need to talk to one person about her care. we're more than 78,000 people looking out for 70 million americans. that's health in numbers. unitedhealthcare.
2:30pm
2:31pm
>> a new poll shows that 55% of voters say that not raising the debt ceiling is a real and serious problem and 18% say it is not a problem, and right now, there could be a bipartisan support growing for a debt ceiling deal proposed be ed by so-called gang of six. here is what the president had to say a short time ago. >> we have a democratic president and administration that is prepared to sign a tough
2:32pm
package that cludes both spending cuts and modifications to social security, medicaid and medicare that would strengthen those systems and allow them to move forward and would include a revenue component. we now have a bipartisan group of sen is or tators who agree w balanced approach. >> luke russert joins me, and i guess it is a gang of seven now, luke, involved in this, and there was just a report that you have folks on wall street really starting to get worried about some of the rhetoric coming from the tea party and if a deal can be secured here? >> right, indeed, tamron and new hope given to an idea that many thought had gone to the wayside here on capitol hill, and this morning the gang of six, again, and gang of seven rejoined by tom coleburn and lamar
2:33pm
alexander, this idea of $3.75 trillion in deficit reduction with components for both sides. there would be new revenue, but entitlement reform which is something that has been worked on for months and many folks thought it was the last best hope and it got president obama's endorsement and not completely, but he said he is looking more to it, and it will run into two main problems so far that we have heard of. number one is the house representatives, and there is no indication of whether or not the house gop would accept this plan, because it has a revenue-raising aspect to it, and a lot of the republicans see it as a tax increase, and one gop aide said that they understand the cut, cap, balance bill will not go through the united states senate and they don't like the mcconnell/reid compromise to the debt deal, and there a huge appetite for something else out there, and this is going to suffice? it remains to be unknown, but two, it is a tight countdown to august 2nd and is there enough
2:34pm
legislative time to pass something through both chambers and with the gang of six reduction debt plan, we see tax reduction and tax reform and revenue raisers can come pli katd things that cannot -- complicated things that cannot be done with the snap of a finger, if you will, and those two things against it, but so far, it has been the only proposal that we have heard that has gotten rave reviews from a lot of folks and one specific person there, tom coburn, and very conservative member, and one person said that the credentials of tom coburn could provide a lot of cover for rank and file gop members who might not be with the tea party people and the anti-debt people, but maybe a deal at the end. >> perhaps a good sign after so many i das ofdays of a stalemat and the michigan-based borders bookstores could close all of the remaining stores as
2:35pm
early as friday. borders could not stay afloat after a private bid for the company fell through, and 11,000 people will lose their jobs. a michigan bride was arrested at her own wedding saturday. tammy lee hinton ended up posing for this mug shot in her wedding dress. police say she was a no-show for a court h hearing on identity theft charges so a warrant was issued for this lady's arrest. and the surveillance video released by the l.a..er sheriff's department says a robbery was thwarted by a pint-siz pint-sized chihuahua. they ran in demanding cash and stuffed the cash in the backpack and the chihuahua chased them all of the way back to the parking lot and the police are hoping to see the video and identify what has to be some pretty embarrassed robbers. and a chicago law firm is suing 10,000 people across the
2:36pm
country. they are accused of illegally downloading copyrighted files in a case that some are calling extortion. a 70-year-old grandmother who believes that someone stole her wi-fi signal is accused of downloading porn on a file sharing style and she was sent a letter saying she might be forced to pay $150,000 in fines, and her name would be publicly associated with pornography, but if she paid the $3,000 by credit card, well, the firm would quickly and quietly settle her case. she is not the only one receiving these letters and joining me now live is james temple from the san francisco "chronicle" who wrote this article on what is happening. james, thank you for joining us. >> thank you for having me. >> in the case of the grandmother for example, she says that someone stole her wi-fi and how can she be pursued by the firm? >> well, to be honest, she is not entirely sure how it happened. she suspects that it could have been a neighbor.
2:37pm
it is an open wi-fi, and she has an open wi-fi so it is hard to say who might have done this. >> but she nes it is nknows it and she says i don't know if it was my neighbor or someone a block away, but it was not me. >> she says she did not download porn and doesn't know how to use the bit porn if she had it. >> and i imagine everyone has a different situation, but are they saying that we don't care what the story is, pay up? >> well, that is sort of the concern among the legal observers that i have spoken to is that these are cases that they don't plan to pursue to tend, but ho the end, and people will settle and they don't have to pursue it further. >> what is the law firm saying to justify the actions when they are saying to folks, you know, give us this $3,000 and we will
2:38pm
make this all go away? >> sure. i mean, when i spoke to them, they said that they are working on behalf of companies who are seeing as much as 90% of the content stolen online, and this is a legitimate concern not just for adult companies, but mainstream companies and a lot of the content online does get stolen and there is no question about it, but the question is what is the appropriate tactic for dealing with it. >> interesting story, james. i wish we had more time and it is a day of a lot of breaking news. thank you for coming. >> thank you for having me. and a suburb of sacramento closed down a school after there were multiple allegations of child molestations and some of them dating back 15 years. police say that the school owner and principal robert adams is the focus of the investigation. he has not been arrested, but parents of the school are shocked to hear of the allegations. >> i'm stunned. i'm absolutely stunned.
2:39pm
>> i was angry, because they didn't call me. and i got a call from my friend that it was on the news. >> michelle sigona is an investigative crime reporter and joining us now. and michelle, 180 students from k-sixth grade at the end this school and they were told or the parents were told to come pick up these children while this investigation is pending. what do we know at least regarding allegations and where things stand? >> i spoke with the citrus heights police department earlier, tamron, and what i was told is that these are in fact only allegations and that the principal has not been charged with any crimes, has not been arrested, but this is part of an ongoing investigation, and that certain facts and circumstances led the police department to be able to obtain a search warrant. that search warrant was conducted yesterday. evidence was seized. that evidence right now is being reviewed. based on the findings from the evidence they will be able to say whether they are moving forward in one direction or
2:40pm
another, and do want to emphasize that a person i spoke to at the police department said this is involving children, parents, administrators and this is a svery, very delicate and sensitive situation and may take some time. >> what do we know about the school? as i mentioned preschool to elementary age, but a private school -- what is the background here? >> it is. they have been around since 1975, and this particular principal is not only the principal, but the owner, and the daughter is an administrator at the school and they have a number of administrators and teachers, and they have an active summer camp going on right now, and so for them to go in and be able to shut both entities of the school down yesterday really kind of just disrupts everyone's life in this community. you know, every child that at the ends there, and their families and i can also tell you that the police did have a large scale meeting that occurred yesterday. yesterday afternoon with all of the parents to talk to them about how to talk to their kids
2:41pm
to see if there are more victims, and if there are more victims or if the investigators believe that there are other children out there who have not come forward, they want you to reach out and contact the citrus police department, and log into the website for for information. >> we want to indicate that no one has been charged yet. this is the investigation and the allegations coming out right now. thank you, michelle sigona, i appreciate your joining me. >> absolutely, tamron. a lot is going on right now. a court hearing is under way right now in washington, d.c., with ousted agriculture employee shirley sherrod is suing blogger andrew bright bareitbart and sh forced to resign after a video was on breitbart's website with her supposedly making racist remarks, but it was later found to be edited.
2:42pm
and claire mccaskill and karl rove are having a tweet in battle. mccaskill said that karl rove a wave and friendly hi in st. louis airport. even though he's up on tv distorting my record, still wanted to show good manners. karl rove says, saw claire mccaskill at st. louis airport, and she waved but wasn't happy. must be at crossroads. can't they make the tweets shorter? those are the things we thought you should know. [ p.a. announcer ] announcing america's favorite cereal is now honey nut cheerios! yup, america's favorite. so we're celebrating the honey sweetness, crunchy oats and... hey! don't forget me!! honey nut cheerios. make it your favorite too!
2:43pm
2:44pm
2:45pm
. >> welcome back to "newsnation." summer vacation means summer camps and relaxing for students, but experts say that some students can experience a summer slide, and they say that by fifth grade low-income children are two years behind because of a lack of summer learning opportunities. meanwhile, new studies indicate
2:46pm
that u.s. students are falling behind in the global education and the skills and abilities to com compete on an international ability, and how some families are having their students study abroad, and learn foreign cultures and countries. this article is intriguing for many reasons, but first of all, how do you find a global kid? >> it is impossible. a kid who can order off of a menu in china? speaks fluent mandarin or knows europe and knows the way around the train station? edge encators disagree on what it means. >> well sh, with all of the examples i indicate to me, it is a kid who is wealthy. because 37% of americans have a passport and fewer that 2% of the american students can go abroad because you have to have a scholarship or somebody paying the bill. >> right. or the kind of kid who is so
2:47pm
confident and doing well in math and science and sports and all of the things that she can afford to go to take time off and order a pint in a pub. >> and so that the one parent you profile, they went off, and their child is now fluent in chinese and she is only 8 years old. >> right. >> that is a model example. >> in is jim rodd rogers well k american millionaire, and took his children there and put them there, and they do their homework in mandarin and have friendships in mandarin and he s is convinced in order to be successfulf people in the future, they need these skills. >> but you said, he is a millionaire, so how do we apply the global theory to millions of children whose parents can not afford the send them abroad. >> well, there are good scholarships for people who don't have the money and want to
2:48pm
travel and scholarships for people who don't want to go to spain, england and france. if you want to uzbekistan, you can get money to do that and there are shorter programs so you don't have to go for a whole semester, but a couple of weeks. >> what about the foreign languages in the public schools? >> we are terrible at it, and the foreign language instruction is falling across the board, in elementary and high school and we say that we are doing better in mandarin and arabic, and we are, but the number of kids taking the languages is minute. and so that the bright spot there is immersion instruction and a lot of kid s are being t by their parents to schools that are immersed fully in mandarin or spanish. >> and this is something that has caught the attention of education secretary arne duncan that we need to do more to make the students more global. >> we say we need the do it, but
2:49pm
we are not doing a good job of it. >> we say we want to produce better students, but how do you do it and how to prioritize. you can read more of lisa's article on "how to produce a global kid." and more celebrities invited to the marine ball. paul walker has been invited by sergeant erin fitzgerald who said she felt compelled to carry on now what is a trend. >> paul walker, i'm invited you to come to my marine corps ball. i'm in afghanistan, but i will be back in october, so hope you accept my invite. >> well, walker joins fellow celebrity invites justin timberlake and betty white and mila kunis, and betty white said, i'm deeply flattered and truly appreciate the invitation as everyone knows, i cannot at
2:50pm
te attend, because i'm filming "hot in cleveland." major, thank you for joining me and what is the popularityballs have celebrities all over the place. >> well, it is a concern for those of us who want to attend and make sure we get tickets for everyone in our family. >> so you are worried that some of the families could be nudged out by the celebrity trend take over it seems? >> well, i say taking over, but so far two people accepti ininga and justin. >> and it is great. it draws attention to the marine corps ball and what happens with respect to paying respect to the sacrifices that the marines have made over the years, but you know, when we heard that justin accepted, i nknow that my wife was excited and she wanted the kids to at the end and then the mother-in-law called and the sister-in-law called. so, you know. >> i love it. i think that you are a, major,
2:51pm
some pull surely. and let me understand here, you have several balls happening and mila and justin won't be at the same ball, so how many balls are there? >> well, wherever there are marines located throughout the world, they celebrate the marine corps birthday. we were born on november 10th, 1 1775, by an act of the continental congress and we take time to celebrate our birth and celebrate the history and the sacrifices made and we do it through a series of traditions at the balls. one of the last things that happens at the marine corps ball, and especially in washington, d.c. is the dancing. so we hope to see justin out there dancing. >> well, if justin is out there dancing, i would like to see you alongside him, and put it on youtube and we will bring you back and show us some of the moves. well, i'm so happy that you are getting the attention that you deserve. thank you for your service and all tof the marinest out there. and there are a number of really pretty women on my staff who are single, so if you have any
2:52pm
fellows, you know, i can hook you up, major, let me know. >> okay. i will pass that around. >> i'm the love doctor around here. thank you very much. >> thank you. >> and today's "newsnation" gut check -- i am going to get killed around here. and what is next, what do you think of rupert murdoch's testimony before parliament? we will get you the weigh in coming up after a quick break. woman: saving for our child's college fund was getting expensive.
2:53pm
man: yes it was. so to save some money, we taught our 5 year old how to dunk. woman: scholarship! woman: honey go get him. anncr: there's an easier way to save. get online. go to geico.com. get a quote. 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance.
2:54pm
2:55pm
back to today's "newsnation" gut check is the top story that we have been following rupert murdoch's testimony before parliament about the hacking scandal that shutdown his "news of the world" tabloid. the 80-year-old mogul said he was humbled and appalled by the scandal, but he would not take responsible for it. and instead, he shifted the blame to the people he trusted to run the newspaper, and murdoch said he may have been lax in not asking more questions, but only because the now defunct tabloid only accounted for less than 1% of
2:56pm
the media empire. so is did rupert murdoch's testimony help or hurt the media empire? go to news nation.msnbc.com to cast your vote. you can see us every weekday at 2:00 p.m. and up next, ezra klein is in for martin bashir. [ male announcer ] get ready for the left lane.
2:57pm
the volkswagen autobahn for all event is back. right now, get a great deal on new volkswagen models, including the jetta, awarded a top safety pick by the iihs. that's the power of german engineering. hurry in and lease the jetta s for just $179 a month. ♪ visit vwdealer.com today. when i got my medicare card, i realized i needed an aarp... medicare supplement insurance card, too. medicare is one of the great things about turning 65, but it doesn't cover everything. in fact, it only pays up to 80% of your part b expenses. if you're already on or eligible for medicare, call now to find out how an aarp... medicare supplement insurance plan, insured by unitedhealthcare insurance company, helps cover some of the medical expenses... not paid by medicare part b. that can save you from paying up to thousands of dollars... out of your own pocket. these are the only medicare supplement insurance plans... exclusively endorsed by aarp. when you call now, you'll get this free information kit...
2:58pm
with all you need to enroll. put their trust in aarp medicare supplement insurance. plus you'll get this free guide to understanding medicare. the prices are competitive. i can keep my own doctor. and i don't need a referral to see a specialist. call now to get a free information kit. plus you'll get this free guide to understanding medicare. and the advantages don't end there. choose from a range of medicare supplement plans... that are all competitively priced. we have a plan for almost everyone, so you can find one that fits your needs and budget. with all medicare supplement plans, there are virtually no claim forms to fill out. plus you can keep your own doctor and hospital that accepts medicare. and best of all, these plans are... the only medicare supplement plans endorsed by aarp. when they told me these plans were endorsed by aarp... i had only one thing to say... sign me up. call the number on your screen now... and find out about an aarp medicare supplement insurance plan.
2:59pm
you'll get this free information kit... and guide to understanding medicare, to help you choose the plan that's right for you. as with all medicare supplement plans, you can keep your own doctor and hospital that accepts medicare, get help paying for what medicare doesn't... and save up to thousands of dollars. call this toll-free number now. good afternoon, i'm ezra klein in for the martin bashir on this tuesday july 19th, and here is what is happening. rupert murdoch and his son, grilled. >> this is the most humbled day of my life. ♪ i know that i never lost control ♪ >> the head of the news corp has trouble with the memory. >> i did not know at the time. i never knew of it. >> i never heard. >> i don't have any memory of it. ♪